Suruhanjaya Pengangkutan Awam Darat (SPAD) and the East Coast Economic Region Development Council (ECERDC) have jointly launched a market sensing exercise to gauge market interest and seek views via a Request for Information (RFI) for the East Coast Rail Line (ECRL) project on 15th March 2016.
The East Coast Economic Region (ECER), is an area measuring more than 66,000 square kilometres or 51% of the total area of Peninsular Malaysia with a total population of 4.43 million (2014). ECER covers the states of Kelantan, Terengganu and Pahang, as well as the district of Mersing in Johor as shown in Figure 1.
Figure 1: ECRL route in the ECER
Infrastructure development is critical to the growing ECER and rail is a key enabler for the region that can connect economic centres including industrial areas and provide a link to Greater Kuala Lumpur/Klang Valley efficiently. To unlock this growth, ECRL has been identified as a high impact infrastructure project that will form the backbone of ECER's multimodal transport infrastructure. This will complement existing road/expressway infrastructure as the Lebuhraya Pantai Timur and the existing KTMB East Coast Line and ports.
- This market consultation document seeks feedback in relation to the proposed business, technical models and procurement strategies for the East Coast Rail Line (ECRL) project. These business models are set out in more detail in section 3 of the RFI document.
- This RFI is open to companies and consortia, who are interested in participating in the project, in the areas of ECRL railway design, funding, construction, operations and maintenance across the supply chain.
- Whilst, the Project Sponsors have views on particular business models and procurement strategies, feedback from the market is sought to refine these strategies.
- The objective of the market consultation is to collate the following:
- Test the private sector’s interest in the delivery of the project based on the proposed business models and procurement strategies;
- Ensure the business models and procurement strategies are viable, deliverable and sufficiently applicable to the private sector by:
- Understanding the market’s appetite for risk and how risks can be shared and mitigated;
- Understanding the pressure points from the private sector’s perspective, for a project of such size and complexity; and
- Obtaining opinions on procurement approach and deliverability
- Identify further areas for improvement in the business models and procurement strategies
The market consultation programme
- The timetable for the market consultation process is summarised as follows:
Table 1: The timetable for the market consultation process
|Launch of RFI||15 March 2016|
|Close date for receipt of submissions||27 May 2016, 12:00 noon (GMT+08:00)|
The market consultation process
- The Project Sponsors would greatly appreciate your feedback in the form of a response to the questionnaire in section 4 of the RFI document.
- Please note there is no expectation for respondents to answer every question in the questionnaire. Respondents are encouraged to answer those questions where they feel they are able to provide valuable comments.
- Please send responses to: (email@example.com).
- Completed questionnaires should be returned via email to the address provided above no later than 27 May 2016, 12:00 noon (GMT+08:00).
- The Project Sponsor does not invite clarification questions at this stage. However, any queries should be directed to the email address provided above.
- On receipt of the submission, the Project Sponsors may wish to enter into discussion with selected respondents to clarify their responses.
- Completion of this questionnaire and any further involvement in this market consultation process does not constitute an invitation to submit tenders in relation to any project, asset renewal or service, nor will it be used in any way to identify potential shortlists of individuals / organisations or consortia as part of any tendering process for the ECRL project, or any other projects.
- All respondents are required to abide to the terms of the Non-Disclosure Agreement executed with SPAD in regards to all verbal and written information and discussion contained within the market consultation process.
- The Project Sponsors will treat all information provided by respondents in confidence. The Project Sponsors may share the general outcomes and themes of this exercise with relevant parties as appropriate, but will maintain the anonymity of respondents.
- All information included in this RFI is confidential and is only for the recipient’s knowledge. No information included in this document or in discussions connected to it may be disclosed to any other party without a written consent from SPAD.
- Please note that while a response to this RFI is not a pre-requisite to participating in any resulting procurement process, potential respondents are encouraged to respond to the RFI.
To register for participation eligibility please provide the following with your email request for the RFI document (firstname.lastname@example.org):
- Company profile
- Reference to relevant project experience
- Signed Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) *Download here
Eligible RFI participants will be given access to the RFI document consisting of the following sections:
- This section provides an overview of the exercise along with its objective and purpose where the RFI process is also explained in detail
b) Project Information
- This section states the objective of the ECRL project and its background
c) Business Models and Procurement Strategies
- The proposed business models and procurement strategies for ECRL project
- A set of questionnaire based on the proposed business models and procurement strategies is developed in this section for participants to respond to
- The questionnaire aims to seek feedback and suggestions on whether the proposed business models are realistic, deliverable and attractive to the market, as well as suggestions for alternative arrangements from the respondents.
Interested parties are welcome to contact:
Muhammad Rozif Bin Roslan
Tel: 603-2726 7294
Roselaily Bte Abd Rahman
Tel: 603-2726 7249